08 May 2013

Emergency

Walking into an emergency ward of a hospital is surely the most harrowing time of one’s life. I could see the anxiety plainly on the faces of other people who were rushing in along with me. Some were rushing out, slip in hand, going off to the chemist to fill a prescription.

Thank you morguefile



I kept my head down and willed myself not to cry. It was difficult. Just this morning I had left my wife at home, eight months pregnant, her belly swollen beautifully. Her hair in a disarray, face glowing with happiness. Everything was fine, doctors assured us. The baby was growing just fine, all we had to do was to wait for a month to hold our darling in our arms.

Shortly after lunch, I got a call from Suman, my sister-in-law, her voice was high-pitched. “Didi has fallen down the stairs. Sudha-didi and I are taking her to ___ hospital.”. She did not need to say “Come immediately”. I spoke to my boss and was out of the office in 2 minutes. I drove anxiously towards the hospital. Within an hour I was in the parking lot. I called up Suman and barked:

“Where?”

“Emergency, Bed 32”, she was equally brief.

I looked frantically around at people in various states of illness strewn around the emergency ward, searching for Bed 32. Suddenly I spotted Suman waving at me from left corner.

She was smiling.

”The baby is fine.” She said. “Didi has a hairline fracture in her left shin. She has to wear a cast for a month”

I looked at Sona, and brushed the wayward hair off her forehead. Her eyes were damp, and her face still bore traces of terror. But she was smiling.




Write Tribe Prompt

27 comments:

  1. Do baar bola to aur mazaa aaya. :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! The happy ending fills the heart with warmth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Raja. Did not have the heart to write anything awful for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank god.
    Alls well if ends well.
    Was a scary start up but a pleasant ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet story, Ava! Thanks for joining in the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Corinne,

    thanks for giving me an opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet! Thank goodness for happy endings. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harvoo

    I missed your comment. :)

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks God it ended at a positive note. I am always scared when it comes to children/babies...am sensitive about them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Short and nail biting.
    Talk of fast stories!!
    I read it so fast to know if all was well!!
    It ended sweetly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good story! I am glad it ended well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was reading this bated breath! Thank God, all was well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Pacifist, Lalitha, Shilpa.

    Your kind words mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh good! another Happy Ending story!
    Beautifully written :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its amazing how a mother-to-be brushes aside a cast for a MONTH to first say that the baby is fine. 10 months earlier, she wouldn't have smiled after a fall, would she have? :)

    Meera
    ps: Please remove the word prompt. Sometimes late in the night, its really painful to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. After such a scare.. a cast seems like a small thing :)

    Sorry about the word prompt. I kept gettng a lot of spam. Got tired of deleting it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In a tense situation, the happy ending also takes time to digest! Thanks for sharing, Ava! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. the anxiety and the perfect climax was the icing on the reading. Perfect writing style :)

    Of course the interpretation of emergency quite innovative :D :D

    www.subzeroricha.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  19. A scary situation. I'm glad it had a happy ending :)

    ReplyDelete

Shimla's Indian Coffee House

For those who live in the Tricity (Chandigarh, Panchkula and Mohali), Shimla is a weekend destination. For the daring ones, who have the sta...